Monday 3 June 2013

Scoping Note ahoy!

A reply from the Highways Agency, with a promise of...paperwork:


3 June 2013 09:55:

Dear Mr Stead


Referring to your Email below, I am sorry that you feel that the Highways Agency is acting unreasonably. I would refer you to my Email of of 12 December 2012 regarding the process used by the HA to determine whether safety proposal is taken forward and is proportionate to the need. This is in place to ensure that an objective and consistent approach is taken to all such issue across the Strategic Road Network, throughout the country.


Our funding is on an annual and we bid for funding on the business case, mentioned in my earlier Email of 12 December 2012. Our bid is assessed against other bids throughout the Agency areas across England. Our business case have to be sufficiently robust to stand that scrutiny.


I am at present awaiting a scoping note on the issues at this junction and the proposals put forward. I will contact you again when this is to hand.

... 

Asset Manager

===================================
My reply:


Dear ...

Thankyou for clarifying this. I fully appreciate the need for an objective approach to road safety investment, which is why I raise the questions regarding efficacy and future spend. My further questions below in italics.

You are proposing some 'paint', again I ask:

  • What proof is there that 'paint' slows down traffic in a situation like this?
  • How will 'paint' prevent an HGV crossing the centreline into the face of oncoming traffic, as has been witnessed by residents?
  • How will 'paint' prevent confused motorists driving the wrong way up the off-ramp, again as witnessed by residents?

I also remind you that based on DfT records £67,899 has been spent on two minor injury crashes in the last 5 years, almost certainly speed-related where vehicles have lost control on what can be a deceptive corner if taken at anything near the posted speed limit.


  • Does your 'business case' take into account the existing crash-related costs of £67,899 and prevention of further crashes?
  • What is the formula applied here - i.e. how many minor or serious or fatal crashes need to happen before funding is likely to be approved?

I am pleased that a 'scoping note' is forthcoming, this is a new development.

  • What exactly is this, how long does it take to arrive, and what might it tell us?



Regards

Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use this feature to add your thoughts and experiences on this intersection and vehicle speeds off the A34.